The dotNetTips.Dev.Cleaner is an app that will quickly remove temporary and cached files created by Visual Studio and SQL Server. The reason I created this app is because from time to time Visual Studio builds will error for some unexplained reason, especially after getting new source from source control. It’s because these temporary and cached files that are not removed by Visual Studio and can cause these types of issues.
After just one day of coding this app can find and delete thousands of files!
This utility will automatically detect where these files are and delete them as long as they are not in use and the user has proper permissions. To help remove some of these issues, the app will stop IIS and SQL Server before deleting files and then restart it again after it’s done.
- Auto detects temporary and cache folders created by Visual Studio and SQL Server
- Fast! Can delete up to 2K files per second!
- Starts and stops Windows services that could prevent files from being cleaned.
- I’ve gotten a few questions on why a Visual Studio developer needs this utility. Here is why… on June 21, 2016 all of a sudden I was getting 206 unit test failures after getting the latest files from source control. I ran this utility and ran the unit tests again. I then got zero failures.
- Also, once I updated all NuGet packages in a solution and it wouldn’t build anymore. Ran this app and then it built fine!
Note: It’s recommended to close all instances of Visual Studio before running this app. Running the app as Administrator should clean out more files and folders.
- I recently gave this app to a co-worker and the first time he found it the app deleted over 14GB of files on his system! – dotNetDave
Download the app here: INSTALL
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 : INSTALL
Note: Use at your own risk. If you run into any issues or have ideas for this app, please leave a comment.
Here is a list of features I plan to add:
- UI for configuration
If you run into issues or find folders, services or programs that you feel should be provided by this app as default, please make a comment below.